Don’t forget to submit your entries for the 2013 International Society of Family History Writers and Editors Excellence in Writing Competition. Submissions are due by June 15, 2013. Both ISFHWE members and non-members are allowed to enter the competition.
Here are the categories for this year (note, there are some changes from previous years):
- Category I - Columns. This is for columns of original content published on a regular basis, in any medium, published in 2012. Entries should consist of two columns, each submitted as a single file, and must be shorter than 2,000 words. These are entries from the author’s regular column, not features.
- Category II – Articles. These one-time articles (not part of the author’s column) must have been published in 2012 in a journal, magazine, newsletter, blog, or website. Entries cannot exceed 5,000 words.
- Category III – Genealogy Newsletters. This category is for society or family association newsletters published in 2012. Entries should consist of two issues, each submitted as a single file in PDF format. The judging will be based on originality, content, visual appeal, writing and editing quality, and accuracy. The award is to the editor of the publication.
- Category IV – Unpublished Authors. Entrants in this category aspire to be published writers or columnists in the field of genealogy, family or local history. The submissions in this category are original and unpublished, between 500 and 2,000 words.
- Category V – Unpublished material by Published Authors. This category is for original unpublished genealogically-related articles by previously published authors. Entries should be between 500 and 3,000 words.
Cash prizes will be awarded to the winners of each category. Winners will be announced at 2013 FGS Conference in August.
Complete details, including rules, judging criteria, entry fees, and the entry form, can be found here (will open a PDF file).
Need some convincing to write about your genealogy research? See my post 4 Reasons to Convert Your Genealogy Research Into Writing.